As a result of wearing masks during COVID-19, some lip care products become popular due to lifestyle shifts and self-care movements. Some global trends exist, regarding the selection of correct lip care products. The following findings focus on trends and products that counter the negative effects of wearing masks.
- Due to trapped heat and humidity, cosmetic lipsticks, such as lip color and sticks, have been negatively impacted by wearing masks and COVID-19. In contrast, lip gloss with skincare benefits has seen a noticeable growth in 2020, when product names associated with lip oil is expected to gain popularity. Lip care brands are expected to alter their product positioning strategy and ensure they fit into the changing lifestyle of consumers, such as mask-wearing and working at home. For example, KNC Beauty’s lip sheet masks gain consumer awareness while Tarte starts to offer Jelly Glaze Anytime Lip Mask, a combination of lip mask and gloss.
- Due to the lack of moisturization under face masks, products that have a long-lasting moisture effect on lips are expected to see increasing demand. Petrolatum and beeswax are essential ingredients in this type of lip care products. Vaseline Lip Therapy Advanced Healing Moisturizer and Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm are good examples in this regard.
- Skincare products that are smear- and mask-proof are expected to gain popularity, which is driven by the self-care movement. For example, Dr PawPawPeach Pink Balm provides long-lasting moisture; Bobbi Brown Tinted Balm offers Sun protection effect.
Lip Care Trends – Market
Some market trends that impact/speak to the lip care category include the manufacturing of lip care products with natural & organic ingredients, demand for sustainable lip care products, among others.
Trend 1: Manufacturing of lip care products with natural & organic ingredients
- There is a rising demand for natural and organic products, which will likely support sustained growth for lip care product manufacturers.
- In recent years, increasing spending from millennials on grooming and health and hygiene maintenance has boosted the demand for lip care products with natural and organic ingredients.
- To offer innovative products and to cater to the changing consumer demand, lip care product manufacturers are investing in R&D activities and using naturals raw materials like beeswax, camphor, essential oils, aloe vera extract, green tea extract, shea butter, and vitamin E to develop organic and natural lip care products.
- Due to the rising preference for organic lip care products, manufacturers are investing substantially in the R&D programs and coming up with natural and longer-lasting formulas.
- EOS (Evolution of Smooth) is one of the key manufacturers in the natural and organic lip care products market.
Trend 2: Demand for sustainable lip care products
- Lip care manufacturing companies are going green owing to laying emphasis on natural ways of life due to the growing awareness on environmental issues becoming predominant among consumers, which will be the main trend set to impact the lip care products market in the coming years.
- Some cosmetic brands have built their business practices around ethics, and environmentally friendly products, and many other companies have already started manufacturing sustainable lip care products
- Joyous Organics, a California-based organic, zero waste company, sells its products in glass or compostable packaging.
- Elate Beauty offers a large range of sustainable lip care products.
Trend 3: Sun protection lip care products
- Due to the extreme heat and UV radiation of the sun are harmful to the human skin, particularly so for the sensitive skin of the lips, lip care manufacturers are investing significantly in efforts to raise awareness of the benefits of using lip care products with SPF ratings.
- Companies have launched lip care products with varied SPF levels to suit different skin tones.
- According to the lip care market report, sun protection lip products are expected to foresee the fastest from 2019 to 2025 in the United States market due to the rising awareness regarding the protection of lips from sun damage.
- Pfizer Inc. is one of the key players manufacturing sun protection lip care products.